St John The Baptist C.O.E Church, Bridgwater & Mindline Trans+
PRESS RELEASE – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
St John The Baptist Church & Mindline Trans+ partner to celebrate Transgender Day of Visibility on Wednesday 28/3/18 4pm-6pm
Due to their commitment as an inclusive Church, St John The Baptist Church in Bridgwater is partnering with Trans+ wellbeing helpline service, Mindline Trans+, to host an International Transgender day of Visibility event this year.
International Transgender Day of Visibility is an annual holiday occurring in March dedicated to celebrating transgender people and raising awareness of discrimination faced by transgender people worldwide. The holiday was founded by US-based transgender activist Rachel Crandall of Michigan in 2009 as a reaction to the lack of LGBT holidays celebrating transgender people. Our event will mark the first time a Transgender Day of Visibility public event has been held in Bridgwater.
At the event people can expect some fun activities, a free cup of tea and a slice of cake in a warm, accepting, relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Event champions will be there to answer any questions about Mindline Trans +.
Organiser for the event Revd Lis Sparrow said: “At St John’s all of who we are is welcome to our services, day in, day out and to special events like this. We are looking forward to hosting this event and meeting people on the day. We hope this day will be the beginning of an ongoing relationship with Mindline Trans+ and the wider Trans and non-binary community, families and supporters “
Mindline Project Manager Linda Ling said: “We are so grateful to St Johns and Revd Lis for hosting this event. We’re so proud of the work we do supporting people with our helpline but it’s equally as important to have events like this to encourage our local community to be open and accepting to people who identify as Trans or non-binary.”
The Event will be taking place on Wednesday 28/3/18 4pm-6pm at St John The Baptist Church, Blake Place, Bridgwater, Somerset, TA6 5QS.
The event is free and open to everybody
Contact –Marc Lewis, Mind in Taunton and West Somerset
Phone: 01823 334 906
Notes to editors
- Mindline Trans+ is a national emotional wellbeing helpline for people who identify as Trans, non-binary and their friends & families. It operates two nights a week Mondays & Fridays 8pm- Midnight and can be reached on 0300 330 5468.
- More information about Mindline Trans+ and other mental health helplines can be found on Mindline.org .
- Mindline Trans+ is co-managed by independent Mental Health Charities Mind in Bristol & Mind in Taunton & West Somerset. You can discover more about the broad range of services that these organisations offer by visiting their respective websites – BristolMind.org.uk & www.MindTWS.org.uk
- St John the Baptist Church is a member of the Church of England and is led by Vicar Revd Lis Sparrow. More information can be found on sites.google.com/site/stjohnthebaptistbridgwater/
- St John the Baptist Church is a member of Inclusive Church, an organization committed to encouraging Churches to accept people of all backgrounds regardless of economic power, gender, mental health, physical ability, race or sexuality. inclusive-church.org/