Mindline Trans+: Transgender Helpline rolled out nationally after successful local pilot
After a successful six month pilot of a Transgender Helpline locally in South West England, Mindline Trans+ will now be available nationally.
Mindline Trans+ is a confidential helpline for people who identify as trans, non-inary or gender fluid that provides a safe place to talk about feelings confidentially and receive signposting to appropriate services and support.
Co-run by mental health charities Bristol Mind and Mind in Taunton and West Somerset it was first made available to local people in South West England from February 2017. Following its success, and with the support of Mind’s Equality Improvement team, the helpline is now being made available across the country.
Mindline Trans+ Project Manager, Linda Ling, said:
“Thanks to the hard work and dedication of our fantastic helpline volunteers we have been able to expand our service to support Trans and non-binary people nationwide. There is a shocking amount of discrimination and misunderstanding directed towards Trans & non binary people and I am proud to be in a position to be able to support them.”
Alessandro Storer, Equality Improvement Manager at Mind, said:
“The decision was made to expand the helpline after an overwhelmingly positive response to the initial pilot in South West Somerset. We know that there is a lack of similar services in the rest of the country and we are proud to support a new initiative that can help that.
“The reality is that more than four in five of transgender people have considered suicide and 50 per cent have actually attempted suicide, compared to an average of less than six per cent in the wider population. This helpline gives us a chance to create an important safe space for Trans and non-binary people to talk about their mental wellbeing, and offer the support and guidance they need to stay well and help manage their mental health.”
About Mindline Trans+
It is confidential listening service for people who identify ?as Trans, A Gender, Gender Fluid, Non-binary:
- Mindline Trans+ number is 0300 330 5468 and it operates Mondays and Fridays 8-pm to midnight
- Mindline Trans+ is run by trans or non-binary volunteers.
- The helpline is co-run by local mental health charities Bristol Mind and Mind in Taunton and West Somerset and is entirely run by Trans volunteers.
In addition, the work is helping Mind to develop alternative ways to reach out to Trans communities and ensure there offer feels representative and inclusive.
For interviews and more information
Contact: Marc Lewis, Mind in Taunton and West Somerset
Phone: 01823 334 906
Notes to editors
About Mind in Taunton and West Somerset & Bristol Mind
- More information about the services Mind in Taunton and West Somerset offer in the community can be found on their website at mindtws.org.uk
- Bristol Mind is a mental health resource for people in Bristol and surrounding areas. More information here: bristolmind.org.uk
- Mindline Trans+ is part of the Mindline Family of helpline support services which includes:
- Mindline Somerset (01823) 276 892 – Open Tues,Wed,Fri, Sat & Sun 8pm-11pm
- Mindline Bristol 0808 808 0330 – Open Wednesday to Sunday from 8pm to midnight
- Mindline South Devon & Torbay 0300 330 5464 – Open Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat & Sun 8pm-11pm
More information about these helplines can be found here- www.Mindline.org