Press release: For immediate release
Earlier this year Mind launched the UK’s first Transgender helpline, Mindline Trans+.
Due to the need we’ve identified for the service, we have decided that we will be keeping the line open throughout the Christmas period including Christmas Day & New Years Day 8pm-Midnight.
To contact the service call 0300 330 5468.
Mindline Trans+ is a confidential helpline for people who identify as trans, non-binary or gender fluid that provides a safe place to talk about feelings confidentially and receive signposting to appropriate services and support.
Co-run by mental health charities Bristol Mind and Mind in Taunton and West Somerset it was first made available to local people in South West England from February 2017. Following its success, and with the support of Mind’s Equality Improvement team, the helpline is now being made available across the country.
Mindline Trans+ Project Manager, Linda Ling, said:
“Thanks to the hard work and dedication of our fantastic helpline volunteers we have been able to keep our service open over the Christmas period to support Trans and non-binary people nationwide. We feel it’s important to provide our services throughout the Christmas and New Year when other support is unavailable. There is a shocking amount of discrimination and misunderstanding directed towards Trans & non binary people and I am proud to be in a position to be able to support them.”
About Mindline Trans+
- It is confidential listening service for people who identify as Trans, A Gender, Gender Fluid, Non-binary:
- Mindline Trans+ number is 0300 330 5468 and it operates Mondays and Fridays 8-pm to midnight including Christmas Day & New Years Day
- Mindline Trans+ is exclusively run by volunteers who are trans, non-binary and Trans allies.
- Further information on Mindline Trans+ can be found here: www.mindtws.org.uk/trans-plus
- The helpline has nationwide coverage and is co-run by local mental health charities Bristol Mind and Mind in Taunton and West Somerset.
In addition, the work is helping Mind to develop alternative ways to reach out to Trans communities and ensure there offer feels representative and inclusive.
For interviews and more information
Contact: Marc Lewis, Mind in Taunton and West Somerset
Phone: 01823 334 906
Notes to editors
About Mind in Taunton and West Somerset
- More information about the services Mind in Taunton and West Somerset offer in the community can be found on our website at mindtws.org.uk
- Mind in Taunton and West Somerset is a local mental health charity which supports people throughout Somerset and South Devon & Torbay. We provide high quality support services and information and signposting to local people experiencing mental and emotional distress.
- Mind In Taunton & West Somerset operate two out of hours helplines under the names Mindline Somerset (01823 276 892) and Mindline South Devon & Torbay (0300 330 5464) who support people with mental health issues in their respective areas. Both lines are open from 8-11 on Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun.